Krista, Marella and Kristi 3rd year Midwifery students

Krista, Marella and Kristi 3rd year Midwifery students

Thursday 21 April 2016

April 19



This morning I worked on a press release for the midwifery conference for Kiran, did some writing for the blog and some reading. A headache and mild intestinal upset is keeping me close to home until we go to meet Jill who arrived from Canada this morning. She is our Mugu project lead and as such the preparations for Mugu will begin in earnest!

We met Jill at the Bakery Café in Jawalakhel. Madhu was there too. Madhu has a history working in community health, development and research. He is currently working on writing a book about the history and changes in the Dolpo region of Nepal. At our meeting we went over some of our plan. We recently found out our translator in Mugu is no longer there. Jill will be in contact with the Development Health Office in Mugu to organize a translator for us. If we cannot arrange that in advance we may need to find and bring a translator from here.

We then went to MIDSON to meet Nani, the nurse-midwife who is coming with us to Mugu. Nani is very friendly and helpful. I am excited I get to work with her to teach the ANMs. I can’t believe we will be in Mugu in just a few days! We went through our training handouts and made edits. We needed to make sure the handouts would be simple enough for the ANMs to read in English and still cover the criteria as per SBA training guidelines.


At the MIDSON office there are midwives coming in and out. They are all busily working to get ready for the conference! I am excited to attend when we return from Mugu and when my dear friends and colleagues join me in Nepal!


I have included some pictures of the garden. There is a beautiful pomelo tree and rabbits running around while I eat my breakfast. This morning the
grandfather of the hotel came down the stairs carrying his pet turtle!



















Cathy wrote a poem - I have posted it below :)



Beside fallen temples
the young midwife kneels to light 108 butter lamps
Her gaze drifts, scanning the crowds for pregnant mothers and infants.
At the guesthouse, grandfather, back bent towards stone staircase, slowly descends carrying an ancient turtle
on whose back he has lovingly drawn a tika
as blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment