Krista, Marella and Kristi 3rd year Midwifery students

Krista, Marella and Kristi 3rd year Midwifery students

Tuesday 19 April 2016

April 16-17


We went to see the Boudhanath Stupa. The stupa is a large white structure in the form of a giant mandala. It is one of the largest in the world and is a UNESCO world heritage site. It is an important spiritual site for Tibetan Buddhists. It is missing its top due to the earthquake but it appears as if reconstruction is underway. When we walked around the stupa it was quite crowded. Buddhist monks of all ages, many tourists, people of Nepali and Tibetan origin strolled together. As we travelled clockwise people spun the prayer wheels. The mantra of Avalokiteshvara - Om Mani Padme Hum - is carved on the prayer wheels at the base of the stupa.
 

We then had dinner at Flavours nearby where I got to try Nepal’s first craft beer. Although I enjoyed the experience, I will say I have been spoiled by Vancouver’s craft beer scene. ;)


Yesterday was mostly a rest day for us. Cathy had a stomachache overnight and my lungs are very sore. In the morning I went to one of the cafes for cappuccinos and computer work. I then ambled home and got very lost, so had a nice walk about Thamel until I finally recognized a landmark that I knew directionally so I was able to make my way home. I spent the afternoon reading. I have been trying to read as many books about Nepal as I can, to try and help me contextualize what I am seeing. We also discussed some of the teachings we may do for the ANMs in Mugu. For neonatal resuscitation the primary thing is to get air into the baby’s lungs. Ek dui tin (1,2,3). The bag is squeezed on ek – this way we get 40-60 breaths to the baby per minute. J I am getting very excited to get there. We leave Thursday for Nepalgunj and all being well will fly to Mugu on Friday!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for taking the time to write. I recall learning to count to five in Hindi, many years ago when I spent some time in India (ek,do,tin, char, paunch - 1,2,3,4,5)
    best regards and sleep well!

    ReplyDelete